Current:Home > MyMark Zuckerberg Accepts Elon Musk’s Challenge to a Cage Fight -TradeGrid
Mark Zuckerberg Accepts Elon Musk’s Challenge to a Cage Fight
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 05:18:08
It looks like this beef might actually make if off the internet and into the ring.
Mark Zuckerberg has seemingly accepted a challenge from Elon Musk to face off in a cage match. This unlikely matchup is the result of rising tensions between the two CEOs as news broke that Meta has begun to create a product that could compete with Twitter, which Musk finalized his purchase of in October 2022.
This showdown originated when a Twitter user seemed to poke fun at Zuckerberg's jiu jitsu videos on Instagram, warning Musk that he "better be careful," to which the 51-year-old replied, "I'm up for a cage match if he is lol."
And what might have started as a joke became much more serious when Zuckerberg posted a screenshot of Musk's challenge to his June 21 Instagram Story with the caption, "Send Me Location." The 39-year-old's story also included a reply to Musk's proposal that read, "Lol I love you Elon but you better start training."
And despite this matchup being on nobody's 2023 bingo card, it looks like it might really be happening. When news broke of Zuckerberg's acceptance, the SpaceX founder tweeted a proposed location for the physical confrontation. Musk simply said, "Vegas Octagon."
Meta previously confirmed to CNBC that it was "exploring a standalone decentralized social network for sharing text updates," which is reportedly now in consideration to be named Threads.
The app will be integrated into Instagram, allowing Meta to build off its preexisting user base. Per CNBC, a top Meta executive said that high-profile users, including celebrities and content creators, were looking for a "sanely run" platform. This comment comes after months of controversies that have plagued Twitter since Musk took over. This includes implementing a completely free speech policy, which caused many advertisers to leave the platform over concerns that it would allow users to post racist, sexist, or otherwise hateful speech without consequence.
The details of Meta's proposed Thread platform comes only weeks after Musk officially stepped down as Twitter's CEO.
The Tesla CEO, who officially took over the social media platform back in October in a $44 billion deal, announced that ad exec Linda Yaccarino will now be at the helm of the company in May 2023.
"@LindaYacc will focus primarily on business operations, while I focus on product design & new technology," he tweeted May 12. "Looking forward to working with Linda to transform this platform into X, the everything app."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (4794)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Fever at Sky score, highlights: Angel Reese extends double-double streak in win Caitlin Clark, Fever
- L.A. Olympics official: Leaving Caitlin Clark off 2024 U.S. team 'missed opportunity'
- Abortion access has won when it’s been on the ballot. That’s not an option for half the states
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Barry Sanders reveals he had 'health scare' related to his heart last weekend
- Prosecutors in classified files case to urge judge to bar Trump from inflammatory comments about FBI
- Cybertruck sales are picking up: Could the polarizing EV push Tesla's market share higher?
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- ‘Inside Out 2' scores $100M in its second weekend, setting records
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Nevada judge dismisses charges against 6 Republicans who falsely declared Trump the winner in 2020
- Travis Kelce's Mom Donna Shares Video of Him Carrying Taylor Swift Onstage at Eras Tour Show
- All involved in shooting that critically wounded Philadelphia officer are in custody, police say
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Cruise ship rescues 68 migrants adrift in Atlantic
- Trump will address influential evangelicals who back him but want to see a national abortion ban
- Toronto Blue Jays No. 2 prospect, shortstop Orelvis Martínez, suspended for PED violation
Recommendation
Small twin
Cristiano Ronaldo ‘lucky’ not to come to harm after he’s confronted by selfie-seekers, coach says
How the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders' Kelli Finglass Changed the Conversation on Body Image
When does Noah Lyles run? Men's 100m race times at 2024 US Olympic track and field trials
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
2 people were taken to a hospital after lightning struck a tree near a PGA Tour event in Connecticut
Why Reggie Jackson's powerful remarks on racism still resonate today
Video shows choking raccoon being saved by friends camping in Michigan